It is also known as albuterol, and it is marketed with the make Ventolin. It is classified as a bronchodilator. The bronchus in the lung may become narrowed, it opens the medium and large airways in the lungs.
Salbutamol is both available in a gaseous form, which can be used with an inhaler or nebulizer.
Ventolin nebules – 2.5mg.
Ventolin inhaler – 100mcg
Available in tablets – 4mg
It is used to treat bronchospasm, and it is effective in treating asthmatic allergy.
– Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
– It is also used in obstetrics, as a Beta 2 agonists, to relax the uterine smooth muscle to delay premature labor.
– Salbutamol is not recommended for breastfeeding mothers.
– It is not to be taken during the first six months of pregnancy.
– Not to administer to a woman at risk of miscarriage.
The side effects include:
– Fast heart rate
– A headache
– Dry mouth
Side effects can become worse in some cases
– Irregular heartbeats
The duration for interaction is between 15 minutes to 6 hours.
Interactions with alcohol are unknown. Although, interactions are different in individuals.
– Ask your patient if she is not pregnant or lactating.
– Record a baseline vital signs for comparison after drug administration
– Monitor respiratory and pulse rate during nebulization
– Assess the volume of the pulse, in the case of tachycardia
– Health educate your patient on the effect of the drug
– During nebulization, make your patient comfortable.
– After nebulizing, teach your patient how to use the Ventolin inhaler during attacks at home
– For asthmatic patients, health educate them on what asthma is all about, and how to prevent attacks.
Happy New Week to you all.
I hope you got value?