Few days ago, a woman identified as Mayowa Adekunle fell into labour inside a tricycle popularly known as Maruwa headed to the hospital where she was referred to for a caesarean section ( A surgical operation to bring out baby from the womb)

This happened on 9th of November, 2019 at about 13:00GMT around Seven-up bus stop Ajegunle, Lagos state.

According to reports, Mrs Mayowa had earlier presented at Layeni healthcentre around Alaba where she registered immediately she noticed she’s in labour. After spending more than 5hours at the health center coupled with multiple vaginal examinations, she was referred to general hospital at Orege, orile for surgery because to them “The head of the baby was too big to pass through the pelvis ” a condition referred to as cephalopelvic disproportion medically.

Nurse Jeremiah Oyakhilome

On her way to the hospital, she felt like she wanted to pooh, she couldn’t hold it as the baby’s head was almost out already and this led to her and other passersby shouting for help. This got the attention of Nurse Jeremiah who was on duty at a diagnostic centre nearby, he therefore rushed out to attend to the woman and ensure the baby was delivered without any complications despite unavailabilityof basic equipments required for such procedure. After which the woman was taken to the hospital with her new born baby.

When contacted by Fellow Nurses Africa correspondent Nurse Edeaghe Jeremiah Oyakhilome recounts his experiences.

“I Was in my diagnostic suite collating ECG result when I heard people shouting and crying for help, ori! ori! ori! was their yelling tone.The said woman has presented in an undisclosed hospital but not attended to due to the delivery beyond their capacity and was referred to a general hospital which is few kilometres away amidst Lagos traffic and bad roads.
Enroute to general, the baby head came out and the maruwa driver packed and ran away
The shout was intense I had to rush out, alongside the doctor on duty. On brief assessment, the baby was observed to be asphyxiated as the cord wound round his neck. Weighing the options of leaving the Baby to go to the general hospital as prescribed, the minute to seconds to death of the baby and the coverage of our facility left me in an ethical dilemma.But fetching from the legal right of the baby to life that I owe him, I just must swift to action, the cord was ligated and cut, baby delivered with a minimal fundal pressure, emergency resuscitation began as he was obviously blue and without reflexes.

After several minutes of mucus extraction, artificial respiration delivered through a gauze placed on the nostril with a head-tilt chin-lift maneuver, compression of 15:2 the baby came back to life and was cleansed up.
Meanwhile the placenta was delivered through a controlled cord traction and placed in a newly ordered black nylon after assessment for completeness, exploration was done and hemostasis maintained. It was such an amazing moment of my career as a professional nurse. Seeing the baby alive and the joys on the faces of both the parents and the well wishers got me emotional. I am glad I was able to help humanity in my own little way. “

Mrs Mayowa when contacted was just singing praises and thanking God. According to her, her baby is a “Miracle Baby” they referred me from the hospital where I registered to another hospital to go and do operation, without any ambulance or assistance provided even when they were certain I was fully dillated and in severe labour pains. I was so worried and depressed, is this how my journey of 9months is going to be a waste. There was no help, I had to take maruwa to the hospital where I was referred to despite Lagos traffic. At a point, the fuel of the Maruwa got finished and he had to branch at a nearby filling station to get fuel. I give glory to God that God used the nurse to rescue my life and that of my baby.

According to the parents the baby will be named on Saturday 16th of November 2019.

All thanks to Nurse Edeaghe Jeremiah Oyakhilome